How Lithium-ion Batteries Making Electric Dream Come True…
It’s a famous dialogue in Indian automotive market, “Kitna deti hai…” but it will be soon replaced by “kitna chalti hai…” Yes, that’s right. The market will be turned upside down and we will see electric cars running everywhere. And rather than asking for fuel efficiency the talking point will be electric range. The electric range is nothing but how much distance will the car travel in a single charge. More the range, more the selling. Your research and innovation will help you succeed in achieving a higher range.
Electric cars launched recently have a range somewhere between 200km-400km. It takes around 8-10 hours charging time to fully charge the electric battery. For a smoother journey, there are options like battery swapping and creating charging stations at every junction. But producing efficient and less costly EV batteries should be the first priority. None of the electric vehicles will run without chargeable batteries. Lithium-ion batteries will hold the key in the development and growth of electric vehicles.
Around the world, people have established research chain to find solution related to lithium-ion batteries. Different combinations of lithium-ion batteries like lithium-nickel-cobalt-aluminium (NCA), lithium-nickel-manganese-cobalt (NMC), lithium-manganese-spinel (LMO), lithium-iron-phosphate (LFP) will be used in general applications. In the last decade, several entities have crawled in depth in EV battery domain and filed numerous patents for their research. This battery pack has low maintenance. You don’t need to work extra for its long life. Lithium-ion batteries work superiorly in all conditions and are better options for available batteries.
• The battery has low maintenance and long-life cycle
• The battery has a higher density than other cells which makes it efficient for other applications
• Lithium-ion cells are less harmful when disposed
• Lithium-ion batteries are expensive to manufacture
• Battery should be stored at a cool place with a 40% charge
• Lithium-ion batteries suffer from ageing. They do not withstand more than 1000 charging-discharging cycles
Basics about battery charging:
• Lithium-ion has higher voltage per cell. They are voltage sensitive. It is important to detect their full charging state and avoid overcharging
• Don’t overcharge lithium-ion batteries. Overcharging causes stress to the cells resulting in oxidation. This reduces battery life
• When a cell is charged, the temperature should not be less than 0° and more than 45°
• Battery management chip should be installed in the battery to avoid overcharging
The cost has been a major talking point in the electric market. Electric cars equipped with advanced technology and artificial intelligence are looking glamorous but expensive. The major reason behind this is inflation in the cost of batteries. It is still an initial phase in the EV market. Organizations are spending the bulk of money in the research and development of EVs. Cost of the electric battery will come down as the production rate will rise. Today, it costs you around $7,500 but it’ll reduce to $4000-5000 by 2022. It is true that everyone is talking about electric and the future seems that way. We need to invest our time and resources to find better cost-effective battery solutions. It’s worth spending time on a thing that’ll design and define your tomorrow.